Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Do Not Read This Blog Post: Part 2

I know that I promised you the answer to "why corn?", but here's the thing. On Saturday, my 8 month old developed a fever of 103. She continued to have a fever until Wednesday morning. On Sunday, my 4YO started the fever, and it's still going strong. On Wednesday, my 2YO developed the fever. Now, I probably could have managed to post a blog entry before now, except that my husband has a "man cold". In fact, he had a man cold three weeks ago, and this past week decided his man cold wasn't enough and he needed to get really sick and be completely out of commission and bed-ridden for 5 days solid. "Wah, I feel woozy. Wah, I'm disoriented. Wah, my head is pounding. Wah, I have no peripheral vision. Wah, I can't stay upright." Wuss. Sorry, I mean, poor little bunny. Needless to say my ability to blog, as well as my ability to go foraging for local dinner meat, has gone right out the window.

However, I did read one quick little tidbit from Omnivore's Dilemma while rocking my daughter to sleep at 2 in the morning after she had vomited on me for the 4th time that day.

Are you ready? You can still turn back.

Trust me, you don't want to think about this. Stay ignorant!

Pigs raised in a CAFOs (Confined Animal Feeding Operations) are weaned just a few days after they're born, instead of the few weeks they would wean in nature. This causes them to have a life-long need to suckle. Unable to resist this temptation, they bite the tails of the other pigs. Now, usually if a pig's tail is bitten it will get aggressive and confront the offender, but CAFO pigs are so demoralized by their living situation that they just ignore the biting. This leads to infection. So, to stop this from happening, pigs raised in CAFOs have their tails clipped at a young age. Oh, and they don't cut the tails off so the other pigs won't bite them, they cut the tails off to make them more sensitive so that when the other pigs bite them even the demoralized CAFO pigs will turn around and get aggressive.


No comments: