Monday, February 4, 2008

Back to Balance

So I finally made a return to Balance Rock Farm. It was a beautiful Thursday morning. I love Thursdays. It's the one day a week when my in-laws pick up my two wonderful boys around 8:30 in the morning and it's just me and the baby until around 4:00 at night. It's my errand day. One time it was my sit around and do nothing day, but then I really hated the ensuing Friday because of all the pile up my laziness created.

So, with just one child in tow I made my way back to the farm. We went in and actually took some time perusing the small shelves and refrigerators for the various local products available. They had a nice selection of locally made cheeses this time and the freezers were full of a variety of meats. I picked up some more pork chops, a whole chicken, and a fresh ham shank, as well as some cheddar cheese. It was a very relaxing trip. I only had to explain to Allison once that no she could not have any of the various varieties of candy because, thankfully, she has yet to grow any teeth (we're still nursing). It was great.

We proceeded benignly to the register to pay for our goods and I plotted my future Thursdays and my local eating plans around a weekly trip out here. We had a nice long chat with the man who owns the farm (really long, I wasn't sure we were getting out of there). Then, as we made our way to the door he added, "Oh, by the way, I came over here to the shop because I saw you pulling in, but I just wanted to let you know we decided to start closing on Thursdays from now on. Have a nice day!"

No comments: