Wednesday, January 23, 2008

7th Generation

I don't get it. I bought some 7th Generation diapers a couple of weeks ago to see if this die-hard three-time Huggies fan could be converted to a more eco-friendly alternative. I have previously attempted GDiapers, and they're fantastic if you have five more minutes and/or two more hands, per diaper change, than I do. Okay, by fantastic I mean a super cute environmentally superior alternative that leaked every time I tried them and required a lot more effort than I was personally willing to expend, but aside from that I HIGHLY recommend trying them. You can have mine. Just shoot me an email.

Anyway, to get back to what I was saying before. I don't get it. I put the 7th Generation diapers on my son. Then, forgetting that I had put them on my son, I left him in the diaper for the same length of time I usually do with the Huggies: about an hour longer than one should let a 2YO walk around in the same diaper thus ensuring the diaper will surpass maximum capacity which you only become aware of because he comes running over complaining that the diaper has given up and is now lodged halfway down one of his pant legs. (Can't imagine why those GDiapers leaked.) Anyway, I managed to change him just moments shy of the tab release time and no leaks!

Testing doesn't get much more sophisticated then this. There's been poop. There's been pee. There's been what comes out after Nanna feeds him dried apricots, figs, raisins and bananas all within a two hour period. Sorry for grossing you out but the point is, these diapers work. They work just as good as Huggies. I don't get it.

I can go on Amazon and buy 4 boxes of size 4 Seventh Generation diapers, that's 136 diapers, for $41.99. That works out to 0.30875 per diaper, so roughly .31 cents. I can buy 4 boxes of size 4 Huggies diapers, that's 100 diapers, for $31.36. That works out to 0.3136 per diaper, so roughly .31 cents. The Huggies diapers are made with whatever ink they use to print character pictures all over the diaper (my 7 month old insists on Pooh, very appropriately) as well as chlorine to bleach the diaper a lovely shade of white. The 7th Generation ones are made chorine-free, latex-free, fragrance-free and TBT-free. I don't get it.

Doesn't it cost more money to make things environmentally safer? Isn't that the whole point of using all these crazy nasty toxins? I just don't get how the 7th Generation people can be selling the same product as the Huggies people for the same price but without all the poisons. I don't get it. But, I do know which ones I plan to buy from now on.

Okay, yeah, so my 7 month old threw a holy fit when she discovered that poo would only appear inside her new diapers and was no longer printed on the outside. Of course she did. Who can blame her? But then I sat down and had a reasonable discussion with her about how the inks and chemicals used on her old diapers, while making them pretty, were completely unnecessary and added harmful toxins to our environment so I needed her to do a little soul-searching and decide if it was more important that her poop and pee be conveyed to the trash by an ecologically responsible diaper or by Pooh. She's still thinking it over, but I think she'll come around.

1 comment:

Sara said...

It's good to know these work! We'll definitely be giving them a try.